On Monday the 9th of March a new boutique hotel, U14, Autograph Collection, opened its doors in the Finnish capital, the city of Helsinki. It is the first hotel of this brand and fourth hotel curated by Marriott International in Finland (including Courtyard, Tribute Portfolio, Design Hotels).
- Name of the hotel: U14, Autograph Collection
- District: Kaartinkaupunki
- Address: Unioninkatu 14, 0013, Helsinki, Finland
- Date of opening: 9 March 2020
The name of the hotel is a shortened form of its address that is Unioninkatu 14, which transformed into U14. The hotel is located in the Design District (Kaartinkaupunki, Punavuori, Kamppi, Ullanlinna) of Helsinki close to the waterfront and city centre. The best view from the rooms is onto harbour with big cruise ferries in sight, charming old buildings of the Art Nouveau style, or lovely inner courtyard.
The hotel might have had a bit of a different exterior, but the final decision was made onto a more original look of the building. Keeping originality in many details and as part of the Autograph Collection brand, the hotel is focusing on cosiness in the lobby, restaurant and each room.
Fact sheet of the U14, Autograph Collection hotel
- The first Autograph Collection hotel in Finland
- Operated and owned by a local Finnish family
- 117 rooms in total
- 7 floors
- 4 meeting rooms
- Pet friendly (10 rooms)
- In-room minibar, working desk, safety box
- Room service (07:00-23:00)
- Fitness centre
- Proximity to the railway station and city centre
The entrance of U14, Autograph Collection is right in the corner of the building and easily visible. Once you walk in, you get to the Front Desk, where you can check in, get information on the city and its activities and get assistance.
The lobby has mainly soft, relaxing colours with lots of space and comfortable seating.
A really unusual feature is “A Million Times” clock wall in the lobby, some kind of a focal point.
There are 4 meeting rooms at the U14 hotel, which can serve the business travellers’ needs. There is also a nice waiting area next to them, where people can take a break and enjoy a cup of coffee. All of the meeting rooms are located on the -1 floor along with the fitness centre, which has beautiful glass doors styled to feature a symbol of a bird.
The fitness centre is very modern and well equipped; it has own sauna, showers and a wooden bucket to refresh yourself with cold water after sauna.
- As for the room types, the first one is Comfort that can offer King or Twin beds, depending on your accommodation needs and preferences. The room is very lively, has an interesting combination of something local and something totally exotic, for instance, bird-styled tables or fruit-styled bedside lamps. Small details make the room so interesting.
- Trendy room comes in King and Twin bed types and quite similar to Comfort but more spacious (28 square metres). Both of these room types have a shower. It is the most suitable for those, who require a little extra space in the room within their price range. It might be a good solution for those who travel with small babies requiring a baby crib.
- Another room type is Luxe, which is a larger room with both shower and bathtub, so that a guest can choose the way to start his or her day and finish the evening, be it more relaxed or active one. It can be perfect for a romantic stay whether it is some anniversary or St. Valentine’s Day, for example. You will find the same features of the birds and animals as elements of the décor.
- Corner room type might be one of the most desirable due to its view that goes onto a lovely Art Nouveau building and the harbour with cruise ferries. Staying in this room you might feel a vibrant lifestyle and relaxed atmosphere at the same time. The wallpaper will attract your attention and become something you will remember about this room, which, as a matter of fact, offers both a shower and a bathtub, depending on the guest’s wishes. Beside all the above mentioned, it keeps the same design features in its interior. One important note is that Corner can be combined with Trendy room type to accommodate a big family, which is highly convenient.
- And last but definitely not least, is Corner Suite; the most desirable room type with a fantastic view to the sea and rooftops. The room is located on the top floor and has lots of natural light. It is truly ideal for professional photo sessions and perhaps video interviews. Being the most spacious room, it has all the mentioned design features, bathtub and a shower. Unlike all the other room types, which are meant to amaze you by their design, this room is more mature and has a feeling of a little more relaxed and classic atmosphere combined with the stunning view, catchy interior and functionality. It can be connected to the Trendy room, if needed.
Hotel restaurant – Vision – offers its guests the California-influenced dishes and seasonal and local ingredients are used to create culinary masterpieces.
Very calm and inviting atmosphere is meant to distract people from the daily routine and a lovely view to the inner courtyard is adding a little charm.
The bar serves an easily approachable area between the hectic reception lobby and relaxed restaurant providing the guests with a good choice of cocktails, wines and other type of drinks.
One of the most attractive features of the hotel is its spiral staircase that has been kept in its original look as much as possible. It is a true pearl of hotel U14 and it goes all the way up to the top floor making your way to the room more exciting and definitely memorable.
To experience what your heart desires (e. g. room type), choose what fits you best and book a stay on the official website of this new boutique hotel in Helsinki.
A landmark event in the hospitality industry happened in April as Kempinski Hotels, one of the oldest hotel operators, turned 120 years old.
The Fairmont San Francisco hotel appears in a very popular American TV-show “MythBusters”. The hotel is one of Historic Hotels of America; it attracts guests with its unique charming and terrific “look”.
Hotel Indigo, IHG’s upscale boutique brand, will pass the 50th property milestone with the opening of two hotels in London and New Orleans. TOHOLOGY posts IHG’s announcement and shares its plans for providing new hotel inspections in Indigo hotels.
The nickname “King of hoteliers and hotelier of kings” belongs to Cesar Ritz – the man, under the guidance of whom this hotel was created.