On January 17, 2013 thousands of chefs and lovers of Italian food from all over the world celebrated the International Day of Italian Cuisine (IDIC) for the sixth year in a row. The tradition was launched by itchefs-GVCI (Virtual Group of Italian Chefs), association of professionals working in the Italian cuisine industry outside Italy. The aim of IDIC is a worldwide protecting of authentic and quality Italian cuisine. The IDIC 2013 official dish was tiramisu, very popular Dolce Italiano in the world.
TOHOLOGY visited hospitality business school SWISSAM where chef Maurizio Peccolo, official participant of IDIC 2013, with his students cooked tiramisu, as well as other desserts. In the end of this report you will find the authentic recipe of tiramisu.
The authentic recipe of tiramisu:
Ingredients (10 to 12 serves)
- Eggs: 220 g
- Sugar: 100 g
- Mascarpone: 500 g
- Marsala wine: 80 g
- Coffee: 50 g
- Savoiardi* (ladyfingers)
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Beat the yolks and the sugar.
- Whip the whites and the salt.
- Add the mascarpone to the yolks and sugar.
- Lighten the mixture by adding the whipped egg whites.
- Add the marsala to the coffee.
- Soak the savoiardi in the mixture of coffee and marsala and lay them out in the desired mould.
- Alternate layers of mascarpone with layers of savoiardi; top off with the mascarpone cream.
- Refrigerate and sprinkle with cocoa.
- Serve at 6 to 8 °C.
Note: it’s recommended, due to food safety reasons, to use pasteurized eggs or to cook the preparations with the eggs at 71 ºC.
*Savoiardi – ingredients
- Granulated sugar: 500 g
- Egg whites: 400 g
- Egg yolks: 350 g
- Low-gluten wheat W 160-180, P/L 0,45-0,50: 450 g
- Honey: 100 g
- Starch: 200 g
- Vanilla: 0,5 g
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Whip the egg whites with the granulated sugar until stiff peaks are formed.
- Trickle the egg yolks beaten with the honey into this, while delicately mixing, then add the wheat and starch, sieved and mixed with the vanilla.
- On baking pans, lightly buttered and dusted with flour, form lines of the resulting mixture approximately 22 cm long with a sac a poche with a large smooth nozzle.
- Dust the surface with the icing sugar, and eliminate the excess sugar by turning the pan upside-down and lightly tapping it.
- Bake at 190 ºC with open draw for approximately 10 minutes.
- Yields 40 savoiardi, 22 cm long.
In recent years, the programme of the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum has always included discussions of the tourism and hospitality industry. Last year's debate on the role of tourism in the economy was attended by Secretary General of the World Tourism Organization. The 2017 programme turned out to be no exception.
On November 29, HRS – Hospitality & Retail Systems held traditional party “In the company of your HRS friends”. Annual event for hoteliers and HoReCa industry professionals was organized at Corinthia Hotel St Petersburg. TOHOLOGY’s photography coverage.
Recently, “Dans Le Noir?” restaurant in St. Petersburg, which is located in the Sokos Hotel Palace Bridge, celebrated its first birthday, on which occasion TOHOLOGY recalls a visit to this restaurant a year ago.
On August 23, a welcome cocktail of ABT-ACTE Russia, the association of business travel, was held on the HI-SO terrace. Private event was organized for acquaintance of the 5th Saint Petersburg Business Travel Forum’s participants.